Thursday, March 3, 2011

According to Summer … Embrace Your Eclectic Style


This is my first installment of advice from HGTV’s Summer Baltzer, whom I had the chance to interview last weekend for this blog and What’s Up Annapolis magazine. I will be sharing some design trends and advice from Summer on this blog and on What’s Up Annapolis’s website. Click here for my online What's Up article about using the color gray, Gray is the New Tan.

According to Summer, eclectic interiors are all the rage. (When she said this I almost hugged her, but that would have been kind of weird so, I just took notes and nodded).

“Eclectic interiors are here to stay,” she says. “We are getting further away from the ‘matchy, matchy’ look where your end table and coffee table and everything has to match.”

Why? Eclectic interiors exude personality.

“Having an eclectic interior makes your house so much more interesting to look at," says Baltzer. "It allows you to buy from a lot of different places, bring in collections from your travels and makes your house unique.” 

I couldn’t agree more. I have always possessed an eclectic style. It may not work for everyone, but it works for my family and me, so that’s what counts. What I like best is when people walk into my home and are intrigued about certain items. Or when my friends are out and see something and say, “that is so you!” I feel that my home is me – there is no one style – it’s country, cottage, shabby chic, rustic, primitive, vintage with a little coastal flair. One thing it isn’t, I guess, is contemporary.

When I purchase furniture or accessories for my home, I buy them because I like them. Not because they match or will “go with” my décor. I buy it and I fit it in and I truly believe that’s what decorating is all about. After all, you and your family are living there day after day so surround yourself with the things you love.  I want everything in my house to have a story!

So, that’s Summer’s two cents (and my five cents) on eclectic design. Don’t be afraid to embrace your style or create your own style (another cent). Next week, I'll share Summer's advice and some of my ressearch about color trends.


Now linking to:
giveawaysTransformation Thursday



5 comments:

A Vintage Vine said...

YEAH!...Us eclectic types can breath a sigh of relief...our style is here to stay!!! Thanks for sharing!

Tammy said...

I agree and it is more fun. I like that we have a style now- eclectic when I used to just be called - all over the place :)
tammy

Anonymous said...

Great Article Renee! Excited that you got a chance to interview Summer, LOVE her! I let out a sigh of relief that Gray is still the new tan because I'm in love with neutrals and plan to add more to my home. As for Eclectic style, I'll try my best to add a little more of that to my home... ;)

~Jazz

By the Bluegrass said...

eclectic style is the best and most interesting! It makes it your own.
xo,
Sena

The Single Nester said...

Gray is the new tan! Love it!