Saturday, July 4, 2015

A Kitchen Island Renovation and Waiting ... Rather impatiently

So what is it about contractors? I am really trying to get this kitchen in place and done! I've made my backsplash selection, paint colors selections, have the countertops in place, but I can't even get people to call me back (with the exception of my cabinet painter - she's been there from the beginning). So, I have some snippets to show you, but that's it.
In the meantime, my husband and I decided to remake our kitchen island. Here it is, plain as can be (without the top because I forgot to take a before photo).

 First, he added panels of beadboard to give it a little more character and hide all of the cracks and dents of the old wood.

 Then, I bought these legs online from Adams Wood Products. They actually cut the corners out if you don't have the tools to do it yourself (we didn't). They fit perfectly. I wanted the island to look as if it was a separate piece of furniture. I will be painting it a different than the rest of the cabinets, too.


Stay tuned for the rest of the kitchen project (if I can get someone to call me back). I honestly don't want to hang the tile for the backsplash myself -- you'll see why when I reveal the cool tile I got!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's all set. You've got everything ready, from the countertop to the palette, as well as your wonderful shelves. I don’t blame you for feeling fidgety too. The renovation people should have been there already. Renovation is supposed to be punctual like clockwork, so as to keep things systematic and efficient. We can't wait to see where you are going to go with this. Good luck!

Homer Collins @ Pinnacle Renovations

Unknown said...

Really Informative! This article will help a lot when me and my husband do renovations. Thanks for the great information, this building technique doesn't even require hiring help, and its so easy and simple to do! Ive wanted a kitchen island for a long time, now I can get one within the price range I'm looking for.

Essie Reed @ Valley Home Improvement