Thursday, February 11, 2010

Be Mine, Valentine

I love to make Valentines...I've made them for years for my boys and Greg. Through the years, they have become a little more sophisticated, but they remain heartfelt (get it?). In the above examples, I used pieces of paper cut from an alcohol ink collage created by my niece, Maddie. The colors are so rich and saturated that I was drawn to them immediately. I then used stamps with distressed inks to form some of the hearts and I cut them out and glued them on squares or ripped paper.
The other Valentine, to my left, is one I created with a textured paper...it reminded me of my eldest son, so I just used him for inspiration. After I cut out a traditional red heart, I used stamps to embellish the rest of the card, along with embossing powder.
It was a lot of fun experimenting and making these. Give it a try! It's something you can do with your crafty kids, too. I made these with my niece and she made Valentine's for all the girls in her class... "the boys just wouldn't appreciate it." Well, I hope my boys appreciate these, but they've grown accustomed to homemade Valentines from mom (including the heart-shaped cookies). I'd love to see some of your creations, so please share them and get busy...Valentine's Day is Sunday!!!!!!

No comments: