Monday, January 17, 2011

New Uses for Old Things

 I'm trying, but not ready for the big holiday coming up...planned to have lots of Valentine-related items ready for my etsy shop, Where the Grass is Greener, but I am swamped with renovations, work, and life in general. 
Good news though, took a lot of photos this weekend for my other shop, Country Tag Sale and I'm having fun experimenting with different photo backdrops and props. For example, remember, those cool felt flowers I found at Bath and Body Works? Well, I'm using them for props in photos (until I sew them on a shirt or purse or something). 


So...
Tip for today: find new uses for things. (Love that section of the magazine Real Simple, don't you?)


Some ideas:
Old levels: hang them on the walls to display family photos.
Hockey sticks: use as curtain rods for a boy’s room.
Cheese grater: take a basic nightlight and attach it with wire; and plug it in for a kitchen nightlight.
Bath Towel: Use a decorative towel as a make-shift curtain in your bathroom. It actually looks cool...I did it.

Mailboxes: Hang one on the inside of your home as part of a message center adding a whimsical storage idea. Use them to hold keys, school papers and outgoing mail.
That's all for now.

4 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

we have a mailbox hanging in our house to catch the mail we bring in and it works perfectly and looks cute! great ideas!

Vicki said...

I have old levels on my walls holding pictures! Such a great idea. Just started my Valentine crafts today. Posted a tutorial on my blog for a few tags. Hope you are having a good week. Photo above is great.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I picked up an old level in a flea market I've been wanting to paint white then hang a canvas frame off of it.

I've been searching for an old mailbox to use inside too.

Thanks for the good tips.

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I have my Dad's old level...now I know how to repurpose it. Thanks for the great ideas!
Sherry@Back2Vintage