Monday, October 16, 2017

From Roadside to Back Porch: Old Hutch Transformation

It's been awhile. Between hosting a wedding in my backyard, touring colleges and trying to get my son ready for his junior year of high school, I've been busy. However, I wanted to show off a project I did before the wedding (don't worry...a post about the wedding -- maybe several posts) will be coming in the near future.

I walk/run every day, which allows me first dibs on roadside finds if I'm fast enough. I happened to be walking past a house when a guy was carrying out this old hutch to set it at the end of his driveway. I promptly told him to put it back and I would be back in 20 minutes to pick it up! I had a vision.

Ever since reading the wonderful blog, Between Naps on the Porch, I knew I wanted a hutch to hold all of my outside glassware (actually plasticware) and items for the grill. So, after coaxing my husband to help me load it into the truck, I went to work.

I sanded it and primed it and used exterior black paint to match my wicker -- exterior so it would stand up to the weather as it's not really meant to be outdoors. I figured even if it only lasts a few years, it was basically free!

Here it is before. I meant to snap a photo of it with the glass doors on it, but I forgot!


I told a scrap piece of bead board (from our porch ceiling) and attached it to the back. I wanted it to pop against the black and tie in the color from my cushions. This blue paint did the job!


And, here it is...tah dah!!



I'm linking this to Metamorphis Monday on the very blog I told you about...Between Naps on the Porch! Click here to join the party!

1 comment:

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Renee, I love your hutch, it turned out so beautifully! It's such a great size, too--lots of awesome storage. You are so clever to snag that one...and for free! Love the pop of color with the beadboard in back...great idea!