Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Easy Does it: First, Organizing the Linen Closet

Organizing does work if you do it the right way. Case in point: My pantry is STILL clean. Read about that project here. It took one whole day, but it was so worth it.

Now, I need to do organize the rest of my home -- my four worst areas are my giant walk-in closet, my mud room, my garage, and my basement storage area.


Baby steps, though...
I thought I would start out with a somewhat easy organization project for my first attempt -- my linen closet--because once you accomplish something, it feels good and allows you to tackle bigger projects, right?

My linen closet is kind of my medicine cabinet, too, since I don't really have one in my bathroom. It's a mess. Here are the BEFORE pics (although, I think it looks messier in person):

Here are the AFTER pictures:



A. I used an over-the-door organizer for items that tend to get out of hand: paper towel rolls, travel size toiletries, razors, cotton balls, etc. It helps to control the clutter and provides more room inside the actual closet.






B. I purchased matching and colorful bins at the dollar store (I really didn't want to spend a ton on this since no one but my family sees this). I have one bin for hair products, one for moisturizers and lotions, one for nail products, and one for soaps.


I think I may have to purchase those shelf dividers for wire shelves to keep the towels and sheets looking neat, but for now, it's okay. Hmm, maybe I need more towels, too.

Linking to:
Cottage & Vine

11 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks great! and yay on keeping the pantry organized!

Andi said...

Looks awesome Renee!! And I agree, you need more towels!

stacie said...

Wow! Looking good!

Shannon Fox said...

Nice! Bet it feels good =) I just did my first organize/purge of the year. SO glad.

Enjoy your neat, new space!!

Unknown said...

Hi Renee: I love your newly organized linen closet. Your pre-organized closet looks better than mine, so your after looks just great. It's a very satisfying project and you just gave me the best idea. I ended up with an extra over the door organizer when I realized mine won't fit in my own closet, so I will now put mine over my linen closet door too! Great idea. I also put one of those on the back of my coat closet for mittens/gloves and hats and things. Stop by and visit my blog sometime if you get a chance. Enjoy the day, and yes, you could use a few more towels!
Michelle
www.newengland-style.com

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Isn't it a relief to have it pretty and organized?!

I wish I had the inspiration to take on my linen closet.

Lynn Stevens said...

wanna come do mine? please.....

René said...

Looks great! Over-the-door organizers are one of my favorite things to use. We have them in almost every closet.

Thanks for joining the party!
-René

Unknown said...

Love it! Great job! I just finished organizing my linen closet too, and it makes me smile every time I see it. Found you through Cottage & Vine.

Camille said...

It looks GREAT! I love how you managed to find a door organizer to hold paper towels too. Vertical storage is amazing. Big smiles here.
Camille

P.S. I struggle with keeping my sheets and towels stacked too!
Camille

pam {simple details} said...

Looks so nice! I love Dollar Store bins & baskets, I use them everywhere! Doesn't it feel great?! :)