Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sea Glass: Nature and Man's Most Beautiful Product


I love, adore, am crazy about sea glass. Every time I travel to New England I look for it. I tried to find some around my area because according to experts, you are supposed to be able to find it here (in the Chesapeake area), but pickings are slim to none.

Just so I could understand sea glass a bit more, I purchased the book, Pure Sea Glass, a few years ago. The book is not only informational, but it also has stunning photography. I highly recommend it if you’re into sea glass. While there are usually lots of glass shards on some beaches (sad), true sea glass is the glass that has been weathered by the sea and rocks. After years of tumbling, it has an opaque, yet translucent quality -- frosted. You can, of course, buy sea or beach glass, but some of it is man-made. The best sea glass is the glass you find. Again, it's the thrill of the hunt.

Here are a few pieces my family collected while in New England...less than we normally get and I'm not sure why. Maybe it was the time of year, but there weren't as many pieces as we usually find. 


It's fun when we find "rare" pieces like this orange one. It's most common to find green, amber and white (or clear). And, I love when we find some glass with patterns such as the ones below. My husband found these and he was so proud.

Right now, my collection fits in a large, antique glass basket that I set out for the summer to remind me of happy times collecting with my family.

5 comments:

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I have never seen sea glass "in person." If I find a piece one day, it will remind me of you and your beautiful collection!

Ali Richardson said...

Gorgeous!!! I love sea glass too. I was practically born on the beach so that bowl of glass looks like home to me :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, how I love sea glass! It's always a treat to find some when I'm on the beach looking for shells. My hubby is better at spotting it! But it's truly a treasure!

Andi said...

I heart sea glass. They have a book for everything! I'll have to check it out

luci wallis said...

Oh how I love sea glass. What a great blog you have!
Bristol