Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Blogs, Backgrounds and Boxes - Oh My!


Lately, I've been experimenting with my art and my boxes -- they have been consistent sellers in my etsy shop and at shows. I seem to have found my "canvas!" This past weekend, I took my collage art to a new level by experimenting with a technique I learned in Somerset Studios magazine, and let me just say it was a messy (literally) process. I was covered in paper, paint and Mod Podge, but I was having fun!  I'm actually finished except for the insides, which need to be either decoupaged or lined with velvet paper.

This is really one of those go-with-the-flow projects, however, I can give you some initial steps.

Materials needed:

  • Wood boxes
  • White gesso or a primer of your choice
  • Mod Podge
  • Paint colors of your choice (I used Deco Arts Americana Winter Blue and Snow White).
  • Paint brushes
  • Rag or paper towels
  • Marker
  • Scraps of paper to match the shades of paint (or not - really whatever you want). I used some scrapbook paper, vintage sheet music, wrapping paper.
  • Stamps
  • Ink
  • Vintage jewelry piece for knob (if you want a knob)

1. Clean and gesso your "canvas" -- whether it be a real canvas or a wood box. I used little unfinished wood boxes.

2.  Paint your boxes a base color. I used Deco Arts Americana Winter Blue ( I love this color!!!). Let it dry.

3.  Using Mod Podge, randomly glue strips of ripped paper all over the box -- except the bottom. Let the box dry.

4. "Paint" over everything with a mixture of watered down white paint. I used Deco Arts Americana Snow (Titanium) White. Tip: you can also add a touch of brown paint to antique it if you want.

5. Rub off the paint in areas. This will provide you with a background for the rest of your collage.

6. Go wild with stamps, ink, more paint, and markers. Again, I left the bottom a calm winter blue and  stamped it with a message of "Peace."


7. Last, I used a piece of vintage jewelry for a knob and to add interest. I have a huge stash of broken vintage earrings, but you don't have to use vintage. Make sure the back of the piece is semi flat so it can be easily attached to the box lid. To attach, dab a dot of Gorilla Super Glue to the piece and press it against the box lid. Hold for about a minute. I like using the Gorilla brand because it dries quickly, clear and it really, really holds!

I can't wait to do more!! But, must. Control. Self.

I am linking to my first DIY Club party:


DIY Club
And, by the way, the little star box made the front page of etsy -woo hoo!

6 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

the little bird box is so cute!

Allison said...

boxes are such fun to use as well as functional! Yours are beautiful!

Jane said...

I can see why the boxes are best sellers, they are really pretty. You put a lot of time and effort in them and it really shows.
Have a great weekend.
Jane

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I love the bird box! That vintage jewelry really adds to it!
great job,
gail

Holly Lefevre said...

It may have been messy, but it was worth it...these are just gorgeous! I am a new follower.
Holly
504 Main
DIY Club

David Kelor said...

Phone wallpaper is very valuable in life, which is something we can not deny, it helps the mind relax after every tired tired. I usually install my favorite images as wallpaper for my phone. You can also visit the website to view and download wallpapers on your phone, everything is quality and free. I hope you like: https://colorwallpaper.net/

Here are the top 5 wallpapers for the phone:
Hacker wallpaper download
Hulk wallpaper download
Earth wallpaper download
black wallpaper download
white wallpaper full hd