Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chalk Paint Rescues a Sweet Little Trinket Box

I really have to remember to take before pics of my projects (not just my closet). Anyway, picture a high gloss red and mustard yellow box with broken hinges. That's what this little box looked like when I picked it up at an estate sale. Determining that regular acrylic paint wouldn't work without two coats of primer, I quickly turned to my chalk paint. In one coat, the ugly duckling turned into a beautiful white swan.


I stamped it with an acrylic stamp that reads: "He who Plants a Tree, Plants a Hope." I didn't have a small enough tree stamp that would work so I just used a branch stamp.

Inside, I painted the bare wood with a regular acrylic and lined the drawer with velvet paper. 
Velvet paper is really cool...the only place I've found it is at Joanne Fabrics. It's actually paper so you can glue it to almost any surface and the top is a brushed velvet texture. It comes in a dark burgundy, dark tan, red, and black. It's a little pricey at 1.99 for an 8" x 10" sheet, but with coupons, it works out okay. I use it to line most of my box creations.
Sharing this at:

10 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love this! such a unique little box- and of course i like the quote!

DIYbyDesign said...

Beautiful little box. I love the stamped saying. Nice job.

ANNE said...

Gorgeous! I love that little box!!

imsteelefullofscrap said...

Love the box and how the mirror comes up I love using my stamps to decorate wood things I also use my Making Memory ones and have done a few primitive signs I use stazon gives a good crisp image

Ali Richardson said...

BEAUTIFUL Renee! I love it! I really need to use stamps more often, they're so cool!

Unknown said...

THis Velvet paper??!!! I need some~ its almost like you read my mind! Then i scrolled down to tell ya thanks for the info and i saw your next post about CRUMPTON! one of my all time fav places!!!! so you from Annapolis? Im from Southern Maryland small blog world! Im your newest follower! And thanks for checking my blog. Ps ~ baby gate as a doily display holder~so smart!!

Rebecca Nelson said...

Totally charming! I must make a trip BACK to JoAnn's! Don't recall ever seeing 'velvet paper!'

Sounds diving!
xoRebecca

Donna said...

What a beautiful box, Renee! Not everyone can spot a diamond in the rough:) The stamp was such a great idea, and you have reminded me of some nearly forgotten "flocked velvet" paper that I've got, that I have yet to use! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Love that box, you did a great job!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That box looks great--good job! So Unique