Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Hand Made Ornaments




I love the ornaments the kids make almost every year...we could fill a small tree with them by now. I used to (and still do) make handmade ornaments for relatives and myself. One of the biggest hits was this little strawberry. Believe it or not, I made them for all my office co-workers the first year I was out of college. And get this, I couldn't afford red spray paint, so I used cheap red nail polish and "White-Out"  to create them.

I don't have pictures for a step-by-step, but you really don't need them. All you need is:
  • walnuts in the shell
  • red spray paint (glossy)
  • white acrylic paint
  • a small paint brush
  • green felt
  • red string or yarn
  • glue
1. Spray paint all of the walnuts. Let dry.

2. Paint white dots on each walnut.
3. Cut out a leaf pattern from green felt and clip a small hole or slit in the center.
4. Cut string to desired length and thread through small hole in felt.
5. Glue string and felt to walnut top.
You have a Christmas strawberry!!


My son made me this adorable hat ornament for me last year (when he was only 10)! The class did it as a project. Now, that's one patient teacher.

I've also made quite a few other ornaments, but I've given away all but one of these sweet little baskets:
They are filled with potpourri. This one is on my girl tree in the living room. (Yes, a gal has to have her own tree in a family filled with men!)
Linking to:

1 comment:

Cassie Bustamante said...

that little strawberry is so cute! i had an ornament made of a walnut when i was a kid that someone had made into a mouse with felt ears. :)