Once I got my little guy on the bus, my inner schoolteacher took over and I began taping the areas around the mirror and the cabinet door I planned on chalk painting. The mirror is an ongoing project. I changed it so many times that I don't have the original pictures anymore. It's been sitting in my garage because the actual mirror part is in bad shape, so once I found out that I could paint it with chalk, it came out of hiding again. So, anyway, I started taping it, however, since there was rope around the mirror (I was going for a nautical look), the tape wouldn't hold. Then, I got this brainstorm -- aluminum foil! It's flexible so I could form it around the rope. Then I used a butter knife to "tuck it in." Worked like a charm!
I went a little crazy and began painting other things, too. The dog is now completely erasable.