Friday, October 15, 2010

Embracing Industrial Chic

I love the new industrial chic look that's been popularized by the likes of Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel and other iconic trend keepers. I must admit that I've always liked it, but never knew just how to incorporate this look into my home.

Industrial gadgets line up in my garage and craft area and sometimes make their way into my collage designs. There's nothing like a rusty gear or that locker room wire mesh that can stir the creative juices.

So, I have been experimenting with incorporating this look in my house, which is for the most part durable chic (meaning boy-proof) and part shabby chic.

The really cool found objects in these photos embrace that look without being too over the top. I'm really not sure what the round thing with holes in it is (a bobbin?), but it's really heavy and is quite mechanical looking in nature. The other mesh flower holder doesn't have an industrial background -- it's just a cool spice rack I found at a tag sale -- but I think it provides the look just fine!




Another way to incorporate the industrial look into your home is with the large metal numbers I have shown above. I love the way they look and they work really well with any type of decor. So, there you go, trend-setters, set away.
I'm linking to

Margo's Junkin Journal

8 comments:

Gracie's Cottage said...

Numbers...I hear you - love them!

Jan

Margo said...

I love numbers, and your industrial touches are just perfect. Thank you for coming to my party.

Margo

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Oh how I love numbers, especially the number 2. I might have to come and steal yours! :)

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Great stuff. Love the numbers and the flower holder is really cute

Polly said...

Love the numbers! But that test tube thingy is super cool!!

shannon i olson said...

everything is great but I so want that first thing with the test tubes!!!!

Jane said...

I like the industrial chic touches you have added to your home. The test tube display is really awesome....and as far as numbers go...I love displaying numbers (and letters) so I really like the ones you pictured.
Jane

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Hello Renee....!

You should SERIOUSLY TM 'durable chic' before someone else does....That is a PEARLER (Aussie for way WAY COOL) of a description & I for one will be using it to describe my 'man proof' abode from now on....hahahahaha....!!

Your spice rack ROCKS & if you hadn't said anything I would have thought it was a test tube holder....!!

Numbers.... *** sigh *** they are an SVJ FAVE for sure....I recently bought 40 x gas station numbers so you could say I'm in number heaven....!!

Have a GREAT weekend Lovey....!

Cheers from Australia,
Tamarah :o)