Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Magnificent Molding Corner Shelves




These only took my husband 11 years to build, but who’s counting? When we built this house, I told my husband that I wanted built-in corner shelves. I drew a picture. “No problem,” he said, “I can do that.”
So, we had the drywall guys build a base for my shelves and the bases stood there in the corner for 11 years... looking quite strange. I tried my best to decorate around them…using them to hold topiary trees and other large things. In the winter, my Christmas village stayed up in each corner until Easter.
Finally, about four years ago, he said that he would build them as a birthday present. I sketched what I wanted on a piece of paper (again) and he set out to Home Depot. The lumber sat in my living room for about six months.
When he finished, I had a party.
I absolutely love the shelves (and my husband). He may be slow, but that’s because he’s meticulous. He did a fantastic job. It’s done and now I can display my collections.

And, the Christmas village? It’s displayed on a large folding table and gets put back after New Years Day.

Visit thecsiproject.com
Transformation Thursday

7 comments:

Jane said...

You had great vision and your husband did a great job taking that vision and building the perfect shelves. I would love to have something like that in my home!!
Jane

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

11 years! So funny. Looks great :)

wdmk said...

O my, i believe your husband is related to mine! Looks very nice finished, well worth the wait.

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

They're beautiful!!! Hubby did a great job!!!
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Renee, They are wonderful. Your are lucky that your hubby can do such things. good things are always worth the wait.
Gorgeous!
Eileen

Carmen said...

lol! Better late than never. It's adorable and so worth the wait!

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful and well worth the wait! :-)