Friday, February 18, 2011

Signs, Signs Everywhere Signs

"Signs, signs, everywhere signs..."If you’re as old as me, you’ll remember that song…if not, too bad, it was a good song.
Anyway, this really is about signs. I was recently commissioned to create eight signs for a client. She wanted something unique, old world, and personalized for her rental properties. So, I went to work and boy, have I been working…

Not sure if you remember, but in a recent post, I wrote about learning a Venetian plaster technique at my friend’s studio.  That's just what I used on these signs along with a raw umber glaze. Well, I love how the signs turned out, but let me tell you, it was a challenge fitting all the words on them and making them look special…I mean, how “old world” can you make “No Smoking please” and “Please Remove Shoes?” Anyway, the welcome sign was the most fun; I used two rusty skelton keys to create the "W" and then mixed up a batch of rusty colored paint to create the letters. Each letter is distressed with distress ink and then stamped with a musical score sheet stamp. 






The client, an artist herself, also wanted the words "Love and faith found here" so I added the words on a little heart that I created from a cereal box cut out covered with a rust mulberry paper and then distressed again with the inks.



A Little Knick Knack

5 comments:

Jane said...

The signs are great! You did a fabulous job of making them look old world and it looks to me that you perfected the venetian plaster technique. I'm sure your client was thrilled with these. I love how you used the keys to make the "W"....great idea!!
I am definitely old enough to remember the "Signs" song. Sadly I think I know all of the words :)
Have a wonderful weekend.
Jane

Shabby Soul said...

These signs are GORGEOUS!! VERY artistic! I love them!

Anonymous said...

What is that copper or pewter? I love the look and the antique-ness of it. Thanks for letting me enjoy a glimpse of your world through your eyes! See you around!

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

How beautiful. I'm your newest follower. I'm having my first link party tomorrow (Monday). It would be great if you could stop by and post your project. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Totally fun. I love those whimsical letters. Thanks for sharing on Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
Pam