Sunday, December 12, 2010

Easy-Peasy Branch Glitter and Glam

One of my favorite holiday decorations is one I made for a Christmas show house a couple years ago and STILL use today! It hangs in my dining room during this special time of year. It's pretty easy to make and I think it looks so, so glamourous. Here's what you need:

  • branches
  • can of white spray paint
  • can of glitter spray
  • florist wire
  • icicles, crystals, whatever you dream up


1. Collect branches. If you are like me (you probably are); your neighbors are used to you walking down the street dragging tree limbs, found furniture (or pieces of furniture), wood, or whatever. Gather about 20 of these branches.
2. Lay them side by side on newspaper and grab your can of white spray paint (I use Krylon for the best coverage). Lightly spray the branches, turning them as they dry.
3. Once they are covered in white and dry, grab a can of spray glitter (again, I use the Krylon brand) and spray  them until you get your desired effect.
4. Once they are dry (prepare to get glitter everywhere),
Bunch them together and secure them at the top forming an upside down tree of sorts. I used florist wire to bind them together and I twisted the wire in and around each branch to make sure they were all very secure. I twisted ribbon and a crystal garland around the wire to help it blend in.
5. I then hung the branches from a nail above my window casing.
6. Next you can add just about anything for some glitz and glam. It used icicles from the dollar store along with a crystal garland I bought from Michaels. I just improvised until I liked the look. It's still one of my favorite pieces.
I'm linking to:

3 comments:

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

White and glitter are my favorite colors! It looks great!

My neighbors too are use to me pucking thru their bulk garbage, etc. :)

paul said...

I also know one of the Flower delivery website in Australia that is =http://www.lilysflorist.com.au

Unknown said...

That looks beautiful! I love spray painting branches, but your extra touches make them sooooo much prettier.

Merry Christmas!