Friday, December 31, 2010

The Little Red Book: A Journal of Childhood Memories


About 16 years ago, a friend gave me an invaluable piece of advice. If you have small children, medium children, large children, grandchildren, whatever ... you may want to pay attention.

She told me to keep a journal of all the funny things my kids say. Let me tell you, this little journal, now thread-bare and worn, has not only sealed memories, but also provided years of entertainment.

For example, Houston, my oldest (19), at three:
“Why does grass grow up? Why are peas green? Why do I always ask why?”
Nolan, my middle son (16), at three: “Mommy, I’m three, why don’t I have a three head? Why do I have a four (fore)head? And, what happened to my two head?”
Kellen, my youngest (10), at three:
“Do we need to use this potty soil (potting soil) so the plants can poop?”

These little phrases are so precious, so honest, and so hilarious! I know that I wouldn’t remember all of them if I didn’t write them down.

So, do me a favor (and really, do yourself a favor), go and get a little journal from the dollar store, decorate it (if so inclined) and then write down all those funny things. It’s the best present you’ll ever give yourself.

Happy New Year to all of you! I'll be back on Monday to anounce the winner of my 100 follower giveaway.

3 comments:

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

What sweet sentiment! I think I'll do this with my grandchildren!
Happy New Year!
Sherry@Back2Vintage

Tammy said...

What an awesome idea. Because I know my poor old mind isn't what it used to be.
tammy

DanielleisNesting said...

Fantastic idea!