Saturday, September 24, 2011

Camp Out Party or How to Make an 11 Year Old Happy

So, I'm all about having birthday parties at home. Always have loved planning parties for all my boys since they were one. I've had bug parties, bumble bee parties, construction parties:

olympic parties, backwards parties, harry potter parties and pirate parties.  
I've thrown camp out parties for my two older boys before (when they were young) with great success, so wanted to do it again. 
Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate here; we set up camp inside.
Here's how it played out.
When guests arrived, they saw this:
For dinner, we had camp type food -- burgers and dogs, corn on the cob, and cole slaw. I used camp cooking supplies to hold the food and utensils.



After dinner, we had some camp cake...I little something I whipped up with Hostess ho-hos with candles tucked inside for the fire. (Later, we were going to have a s'more buffet bar...way too many sweets...oops)
Here's the s'more buffet bar...filled with two kinds of marshmallows, two types of graham crackers and two types of Hershey bars.
Before dark, the boys split up into two teams for a nature scavenger hunt. The winning team got to go through the buffet line first. 
The favors and the s'more buffet were an idea I saw on another blog, Moore Minutes. They were little hobo bags created from camouflage material and sticks...
 I filled the bags with this:
I also made take home s'more bags.
So, we're still in the midst of the party and I think I just heard something crash...gotta go! Happy Birthday bud!
Visit thecsiproject.com

4 comments:

Andi said...

SO FUN!!! I love it all and the campfire cakes so clever!

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

What a great theme! I love the smores treat bags. I will have to remember this when my kids get older. I am a new follower from the Creative Bloggers' Hop. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

This is all so cute! I love the the hobo bags idea. Happy belated birthday to your little big guy!

claudia b said...

Nice!!! I will save your ideas because my boys love camping so I am sure they will want a camp party in the future :D