Friday, October 21, 2011

Charmed, I'm Sure...And...31 Days of Hope!!!

A few weeks ago, my sister Stacie, an incredible jewelry designer, asked me to create a "charm bar" for her. What's a charm bar, you ask? Well, it's a display for her necklaces and charms where people can select the type and length of necklace they want and choose one of her many beautiful silver charms.
She sent me a few ideas of what she was looking for and I set about the house (garage) to find something. I found several old drawers that I thought would work perfectly. It saved the time of me actually building a stand (which would probably look pretty amateurish anyway) and it lent itself a vintage, shabby chic feeling (which she wanted).
She also wanted to indicate to people that it was a charm bar (make a sign). Here's what I did:
1. I painted the drawer an off white and then sightly distressed it around the edges.
2. I hand painted the little wooden letters, the stamped them with French script and distressed the edges with ink to make them standout. 
3. Then, I figured out where to put the six hooks she wanted (I gave her a few options and she choose the one below). I painted the hooks and attached them and the letters. I also stenciled some subtle white flowers in the background.
And, the result.... can you see the flowers? Sorry, this was taken in my basement.
I also created a vintage magnet display for myself while I was at it...and I'll show you that in another post. Have a great weekend...heading to a few estate sales and a flea market this weekend after my son's soccer game...I will show you what I got on Sunday!
******The 31 Days of Hope Auction has started today******
I have two items (as a set) up for auction. My Pink Printemps Mirror and coordinating Dream switchplate:
 Click here to see what else is up for auction for this very worthwhile cause!!!  
A Little Knick Knack

7 comments:

Jamie said...

beautiful! i'm itching to get out yard salin' again, but i have to work this weekeing. waaaaa!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

What a cute idea. And you're right, the drawers do give it more of a vintage look, which is great.

Have fun shopping this weekend. And good luck to your son at the game. GOL!!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Creativity obviously runs in your family! The Charm Bar is perfect...love the touch of flowers! Good luck at the yard sales...can't wait to see what you find!!!

stacie said...

Thanks again for making this! I love it. Excited to use it again next week for my show.

Andi said...

Very creative! Good luck at the sales this weekend! Can't wait to see your goodies.

A Vintage Vine said...

Great job! Your sis is lucky to have you! Have a great weekend!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

It;s gorgeous and fabulous! Your sister is lucky to have you!
XOXO
Kristin