Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fall for This!

Fall is in the air ... literally, hanging from my mantle! 
I made a fall banner during our last Wine and Design at my friend Cassie's home. When she told me what we were making, I immediately thought, "burlap." Don't ask me why; I guess I knew that I wanted a rustic, country look and that I could achieve that with burlap. As usual, I wanted to use what I had on hand.

Hmm, as I sat at my kitchen table, I saw the burlap rice bags that I've been using for decor...those would do! I quickly measured and cut them into long triangle shapes and then gathered all my paper, scissors, glue and stencils and headed over to Cassie's, not really sure what I was going to do next.





Once I got there, I scoured my paper collection and decided to use a gingham gray and white. Since my letter stencils proved too big for my little triangles, I borrowed Cassie's mom's chipboard letters and traced them. Next, I glued them on to the burlap flags. I then traced some leaf stencils on to some fall colored papers and strategically glued them on to the burlap.


Since I used the seam side of the burlap rice bags, I was able to place the kite string inside the seams to hang them. A couple of stitches on each flag is all it took to secure it to the string. Simple, yet quite striking! Don't you think?

Linking to
The DIY Show Off
 

7 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks perfect hanging in your window!

Renee said...

Thanks! However, I now moved it to my mantle since the sunlight showed the lettering from the other side. Oh well.

Erin said...

Love the banner!

Rebekah Lindenmayer said...

Love it!!!! I am going to make one right away :)

{oc cottage} said...

PERFECTLY festive! Love it!

m ^..^

Nancy said...

Something so easy to make and add so much character at the same time, how could that be bad? Found you on Freckled Laundry!
xox
Nancy

Unknown said...

Renee! I love this. Perfectly autumn. Thank you so much for the tutorial & linking up to air your laundry Friday. Hope to see you tonight!

Jami