Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Reflections of What's Important

This is an old photo of my three boys, but it remains a favorite. I am reflecting today on my kids and being a mom. You see this past week, two moms of my kids' friends passed away. We knew each other through play dates and watching our kids play on the same teams. I knew Sandy for over 15 years, but I really hadn't seen her much in the past few years as our sons moved on to play different sports and hang out with new friends. She was a quiet, sweet woman who lived a full life, but died much too young. She was only 54. 
I had just spoken to Shirley, the other mom, at Back-to-School night. We waved "hi" and told each other that we'd catch up with each other later. We never got to do that because she died the next day. Shirley was a gentle, warm, smart woman with a great love for her family. I only knew her for eight years, but she was easy to talk to and her quick wit made her fun to be around. She was only 50. I will miss these women and I can't believe that I'll never be able to talk with them again. It's sad that it takes a tragedy like this to make me stop and reflect on what's important, but maybe that's what God intends for us when he takes away people so special. My heart goes out to their families and may God take them into his arms.

3 comments:

Allison said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friends. thank you for reminding me of the special people in my life...and helping me to reflect on what's important.

Cassie Bustamante said...

wow, renee. i am so sorry. that is too young for both of those women. life's just too short though, and that is a reminder. surround yourself with people you love and who love you back.

stacie said...

So sorry and so sad. Thanks for reminding me of what's important.